Saturday, May 3, 2014

DIY Shrinky Dink Pins and Magnets

This was a spur of the moment project I took on when I was purchasing supplies in my local art supply store.  I was immediately intrigued with the tiny intricate patterned images in the display.  I soon found out that this item has many uses and my kids got a kick out of making tiny toy like images on plastic.  Whether you want to make a stylish pin, buttons, magnets or just cool doodles this is a easy project to try.  


The paper comes in several colors and brands, the one I used was matte Grafix.  People seem to relate it to shrinky dinks but I think the major difference is they do not have pre-printed images like a coloring book, you start with a clean slate.  If you aren't very art inclined it would be easy to trace a printed image onto the clear paper.   For this I experimented with many different drawing mediums; markers, colored pencils, pens, sharpies and watercolor pencils.   I will demonstrate the difference in the effects.  My favorite were the colored pencils and the watercolor pencils.
                           
Time: 30 minutes    Cost: - $15.00 
Supplies Needed:    

- Shrink Paper (I used Grafix brand in matte)
- Drawing Medium of Your Choice 
- Scissors 
- Oven (To Shrink)
- Glue (To adhere magnets)
- Sandpaper (To hold pencil or marker color)
**If you are making a pin you also need a pin back with adhesive, they sell these in the jewelry making section at your local craft supply store.  And if you are making magnets you need any type of magnet backing. I prefer the round ones (They stay on the fridge better)

Making the Drawing
If you are good at freehand sketching draw anything.  If not you can print something from online, place the paper on top and trace it.  I usually draw my design on paper first then trace it onto my shrink paper.  I like to use a liner or a sharpie to add an outline to my drawing. Your drawing will be much smaller in the end than it was in the beginning, so check the packaging for the ratio. If you start too small chances are you wont be able to tell what it is when it shrinks.

Sand and Color It 
Like I mentioned previously, I prefer colored pencils or watercolor pencils for this. If you are using pencils or markers you need to rough the surface up with a fine grit sandpaper, no need to buy any just use what is laying around. Markers seem to make for a really dark image. The watercolor pencils give a really cool paint effect.  




Poke Holes and Cut 
If you are making a button, key chain, earrings or a charm for a necklace you will need a hole later on. It is not possible to get through the plastic after shrinking, so this is the time to do it. Remember small ratio, poke a large hole to get a small one later. A double hole punch should be big enough for a necklace sized hole. Now you need to cut it out, you can either cut right around the image or leave room, the border will be part of the final design.

Shrink it Down
The amazing part, watching your beautiful image become a tiny treasure.  I put my images parchment or wax paper over a pan just in case it sticks.  Preheat your oven between 300 and 350 bake for 3-5 minutes.  Do not remove during curling, wait until it completely flattens. 



Add Pin Back or Magnet
Now you have a beautiful tiny piece of art, all there is to do is add the finishing touches.  This is the time to add that pin backing, magnet, necklace or key chain.  Either with a self adhesive or glue (glue hold better).



Time to show off your creation, give is as a gift or stick them on your desk at work.  I hope you enjoyed this tutorial, stay tuned for more crafty tutorials.  



No comments:

Post a Comment